God has given us dominion, authority and has placed a great power within us, when we accepted Christ Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Without the use of His word, by not speaking holy in all manner of conversation (1 Peter 1:13~16) you cannot control the things of God, you are out of order. We sometimes make presumptions, even falsely accusing one another, this is the work of the flesh. In the mountains a brook in early spring can move at a pretty good clip. A brook can go wherever so long as it stays within the banks, otherwise we have a situation that is best described by the phrase God willing and the creek don’t rise. God in His infinite wisdom created river banks. He created within us rivers of living water; to flow out of our belly onto the people He has called us to minister to. Stay within the banks He has created for you so as not to drown His people in your arrogance; in the vanity of your mind.
When used properly the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit produce fruit in the believer (Love Joy Peace; Patience Kindness Goodness; Faithfulness Gentleness Temperance) and the world. Mark 16:17~18 says; “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Galatians 5:14~18 says; “For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” Then the chapter goes on to list the manifestations of the works of the flesh as well as listing the fruit of the Spirit; verse 19~21 says; “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” with verse 23 ending with these words “against such there is no law.” verse 25 says; “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”
Some definitions from Merriam Webster
Control equates to discipline which has two major components: imposed and self
: control that is gained by requiring that rules or orders be obeyed and punishing bad behavior.
: a way of behaving that shows a willingness to obey rules or orders
Temperance: the practice of drinking little or no alcohol; the practice of controlling your actions, thoughts, or feelings so that you do not eat or drink too much, become too angry or such like.
God calls every Christian to live a life that is Holy, that is disciplined. Disciplined in prayer, bible study, reading His word and of course doing His word. He has called us to be Christ like so that there is such a Spirit filled quality to our personality that we project the light to the world until He comes.
So how do we maintain self-control, how do we live Holy? Turn with me to 2 Peter 1:2~10
2. Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3. According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4. Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
Delivered with the leading of the Holy Spirit by Joseph Striplin, Elder
House of David Bible and Ministry School